.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Forget Slaughterhouse 5

Harrison Bergeron is Kurt Vonneguts best work. Take about five minutes and read it (it's a short story). I have always viewed it as a paen to individual liberty. It is one of those stories that really shaped my world-view.

Perhaps one of my problems with affirmative action, etc. and other means of judging people on any basis other than merit is that I have always viewed it - in some way - as a precursor to the world of Harrison Bergeron.

Since reading this story, I can honestly say that I've read plenty (though not all) of Vonnegut's work and none of it ever came close to striking me in the way that this story did/does. In fact, with respect to my opinion of his world view, Harrison Bergeron really stands in conflict with much of Vonnegut's other work. Anyways, take 10 minutes and read it.

Kid Handsome

1 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

Harrison Bergeron is an ass. Seriously he got what he deserved. WE have laws for a reason and he should have obeyed them.

The second thing I have to say is WOW, what a great world!

I hope it doesn't take 200 Amendments to get to that level.

People not being "really" equal is the biggest problem we have. Why should I be not as smart as KH or Bob? You guys need some mental handicappers. Why shouldn't I be as pretty as Kid Handsome? He should wear a mask. Why does everyone spell better than me. Defective keyboards for ALL!

I love that world and I'm glad the American left is pushing for today as we speak!

FORWARD AFFIRMATIVE ACTION! FORWARD EQUALLITY!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home