.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Alito - The New Supreme Court Nominee

Someone asked me about my views on the new SCOTUS nominee. They also brought up his similarities with Scalia and mentioned his nickname (Scalito). My take is that I don't like him, based on what little I know.

Some of that is due to the fact that I don't like Scalia. See, I like Scalia's rhetoric about how he is supposed to operate on the Court, but the fact is that he doesn't practice what he preaches. He's a huge hypocrite in that his decisions are not consistent with what he claims to believe. Essentially, he practices originalism for some laws and overly broad and activist based interpretations for others, mostly in deferring in any way possible to the executive branch, but especially when it comes to absolutely eviscerating Amendments 4,5, and 6. I guess it's too bad that I'm not all that surprised for a Bush nominee.

Give the man one set of facts and he will rule one way. Give him the same set of facts, but apply it to the government's rights to detain, search and seize property, and he comes out the other way. If Alito is anything like Scalia - he probably sucks. Unfortunately, I hear that the only difference between the two is that Scalia is the better writer (Scalia is the best writer on the court - especially when he is true to his originalist ideas).

For my money, Clarence Thomas is the best justice on the Supreme Court. He actually respects the fact that the Constitution was meant to protect individuals. He's conservative, but he's consistent - regardless of whether that hurts or helps the federal government.

Anyway, I really wanted Janice Rogers Brown.

KH - plotting revolution.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alito is a Philadelphia sports fan......that shows great wisdom on his part.

--The PCSB

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kid Handsome said...

Isn't being a Philly sports fan a bit masochistic? I'm not really one to criticize, though. I'm an Atlanta fan. Ummmm Go Hawks.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home