.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Who will be the Next Pope?

In the wake of Michelle Malkin linked to this article, which speculates about who might be next to gain the Papacy. I'm not Catholic, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Here's an interesting excerpt from the linked article - read it all:

Much has been written about the possibility that the next pope could be black. In this context, the name of Cardinal Francis Arinze of Nigeria is often mentioned.

But as one Vatican expert in Rome once noted: "If even such a modern country as the United States has not had a black President yet, how can you expect a deeply conservative body like the Church to elect a black pope?"

I'm not sure Race matters in the Biblical sense, but I wonder if the Church will make a political move in order to convert more Africans, Asians or Latinos. For what it's worth, if they do make this kind of move, I bet the new Pope will be an Asian. I say this because they already have a pretty good hold on the Latino population, but see a huge growth area in Asian countries.

Assuming I'm correct, I wonder what this will do the the religious conflicts that are currently plaguing places like China and Indonesia and their large Muslim populations.

Anyway, though I'm not Catholic, I do hold this Pope in high regard and wish him nothing but the best.

Kid Handsome

1 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Something to remember about the Pope is that he has both religious and secular roles (although not entirely seperate). John Paul II, being Polish, was a great advocate for those living under communism in Eastern Europe and played a significant role in the fall of communism in Poland and therefore the rest of the European communist states. An African Pope would have the opportunity to be just such an advocate for Africa and the rest of the Third World. He would add a powerful voice on behalf of a large population that is marginalized by political upheaval, poverty and disease. I don't think it's a matter of race, but it is a matter of demographics.

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home