.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fair Tax Plan

Read the linked article above about the Fair Tax Plan put forth by John Linder (R) Georgia. The article is by George Will. I believe this plan would revolutionize and expand the American Economy. Detractors of the Bill suggest that the bill would hit the poor hardest, however, I'm not certain how they come to that conclusion.

Essentially, the Plan would impose a 23% sales tax on all items (some staples are excluded), while eliminating personal income, corporate, and estate taxes among others. The bill itself is 133 pages, and considering that the current tax code requires numerous shelves to hold all its vast intricacies, it seems to me that 133 pages is not much to ask. Most exciting to me, is that the plan would eliminate the IRS and its draconian enforcement policies - it will save the United States billions.

Here is a nice excerpt from the linked article:

Under his bill, he says, all goods, imported and domestic, would be treated equally at the checkout counter, and all taxpayers -- including upward of 50 million foreign visitors annually -- would pay ``as much as they choose, when they choose, by how they choose to spend.'' And his bill untaxes the poor by including an advanced monthly rebate, for every household, equal to the sales tax on consumption of essential goods and services, as calculated by the government, up to the annually adjusted poverty level.

I think this is a magnificent idea. Unfortunately, the lobbyists on K Street do not. This bill goes right into the top 5 things I would do if I were able to implement my own changes to the government.

I would:

1. Amend the Constitution so as to prevent any government agency from profiting from the enforcement of criminal and regulatory laws.

2. Pass the Fair Tax Plan.

3. Reestablish the Constitution's original plan and have State Legislators choose their own Senators (rather than the popular vote). To me, this would immediately improve state's rights, and halt the huge growth of the federal imperial government.

4. I would enumerate in the constitution a right to privacy for all citizens, though I do not yet have a plan as to how I would word this amendment, which currently exists because the courts choose to recognize it in very limited circumstances.

5. I would eliminate the McCain/Feingold act, as it is a stupid restriction of free speech (I'm not against election reform), and I would standardize how voting takes place in all national elections (the States would likely follow suit). Part of that would include having to present a valid photo ID to prove citizenship.


What I'm wondering is what our readers would do if they could make any changes. I'm certain many of you will disagree with one or all of my ideas. I'd like to hear any criticism in the comments section. Also feel free to address the Fair Tax Plan.

Hat Tip: Neal Boortz

Kid Handsome

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home