.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Otter's Law?

I am trying to stay away from the Terry Schiavo case because to me all the commentary seems more geared toward political posturing than anything else. Any way, I linke the Charles Krauthammer article above to point out something that bothers me.

"There is no good outcome to this case. Except perhaps if Florida and the other states were to amend their laws and resolve conflicts among loved ones differently -- by granting authority not necessarily to the spouse but to whatever first-degree relative (even if in the minority) chooses life and is committed to support it. Call it Terri's law. It will help prevent us having to choose in the future between travesty and tragedy." (emphasis mine)

I know I am flat out stealing this idea from someone (Probably Instapundit), but anytime you have a law named after a person, it is almost certain to be a bad law. The pattern has held true for just about every similarly named law I have encountered. I can only imagine the scope of something called Otter's Law - I guess it would go something like - No television, radio, or other related cinemagraphic outlet may depict any scenes related to the happiness of any person, couple, family or other unit unless that happiness is thoroughly mocked and / or degraded, or the depiction results in the horrific death of said happy unit.

See what I mean?

Seriously, find me a law that is named after a person, and I will show you a bad law, probably a really bad law.

Kid Handsome

1 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

See, you're making me sound like some kind of cold hearted bastard. I would never want to see an "Otters Law".

I just really hate happy people.

Otter

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home