.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ender's Game

Wow...

Yesterday I received Ender's Game in the mail from Amazon. I had a gift card from mom (from like 2 years ago or so which she just rememebered / found) and it was right at the top of "Otter's Store" recommendations. It's one of those books I've heard about time and time again.

"Dude. You haven't read Ender's Game?"

I've heard that a bunch. IF my friends AND Amazon recommend something....

Well, it was good. I finished all but 60 or so pages last night. This evening I read the rest. It was good. Real good. The ending was incredible and at the same time a disappointment. It's a lot to digest.

I really don't know how I feel about. The end hit me in such a way I felt like I needed to DO something... So I'm writing this... and it's not cutting it. The book came bundled with two other books, Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hedemon. I'm not sure I wanna read them.

I often get "Post Novel" depression (I coined the phrase. You can use. It's ok.). I hate it when the story ends, and don't like to "loose" the charactors I've grown to love. Even when I cruise through a novel in 5 or 6 hours, if I love the book, it stills feels like I'm losing something. With this book, I loved it, yet I don't feel like continuing the story.

Anyway, this is a blog. Not MySpace. Enough is enough. If you haven't read Ender's Game. Do so.

Later,

Otter

5 Comments:

Blogger ZooooM said...

YAY! Post Novel Depression. TMO (trademarkotter) I'm TOTALLY using that.

I haven't been around to comment as much as I'd like, but I'm still reading you guys.

HAVE A BLAST THIS WEEKEND (it is this weekend, right?) ! I got lost in the other site when you linked to it, and forgot to come back here and comment!

10:47 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

Hey Zooom! Glad to see you around... post or no-post, glad you are around.

AS for Slackers, well, that's next weekend. 9th year in a row... Wacky Stuff.

Glad you checked out the main site. It's mostly drinking related activities, but I was a little proud of the interface.

Otter

2:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I know what you mean about Post Novel Depression. I get that way with Harry Potter books. I am so involved with the story that it is a big let down when the story over. I hate that.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Andy Hunter said...

They are making a movie. Live-action. this is either great or terrible news.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Go ahead and read the sequels. They are excellent reads and don't jerk at you like "Ender's Game" did.

I first read "Ender's Game" in its original short-story form. I think the shock of the ending was actually more powerful than it was in the novel version. "Ender's Shadow" is the "Ender's Game" story seen from the character of Bean. Very interesting. "Shadow of the Hegemon" continues Bean's story, and after the end of "Ender's Shadow" you definitely want more.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home