.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Open Letter to L.L. Bean

A couple weeks ago I write a letter to L.L. Bean concerning my bookbag. I thought I would post it here as well.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I’m writing this because I felt I needed to tell someone at L.L. Bean that they had done an excellent job. I needed to tell someone they designed a near perfect product and that they built something that was made to last. I wanted to let someone know that his or her hard work truly was appreciated.

For the last fifteen years I’ve carried a L.L. Bean book bag on my back and I’ve loved it every step of the way.

I received my book bag for Christmas while I was in the 10th grade. My bag went with me everyday to school, packed with books. On weekend trips and over the summer, books were replaced with clothes, computers, camping gear, etc. 11th grade my locker was on the far side of the school. I carried everything I needed with me throughout the day. 12th grade came and went, still with the same book bag. Two and a half school high school years and summers and my bag kept up with everything I wanted it to do.

Off to college I went, and so did my bag. Four years worth of books, beer, booze and anything else you can imagine was carried in that bag. Almost everyday of the week I had it slung across my back.

Next, law school came and went. For three years my bag was crammed, every pocket, with nearly 60 lbs of books. The school wanted to charge me for a locker after the amount of tuition I had paid them? No thanks. All my books, all day long, went with me.

My L.L. Bean bag has been with me on almost every flight I have ever taken. It’s been to at least 20 states and 6 other countries. It was with me every day of my summer in Europe. I smuggled out a piece of the Roman Coliseum in that bag. It’s been to the Grand Canyon and to the Florida Keys. I’ve carried it into 5 star hotels and used it as a pillow on the ground in the Appalachian Mountains. It’s been my companion longer than half of my current friends.

I was in the Denver airport a couple weeks ago, rushing to catch a connecting flight to Phoenix, when a man stopped me to tell my that book bag was unzipped. It wasn’t unzipped; it was that the zipper had “popped” again. The zippers for two of the compartments have been broken for a little while now; the only visible damage to the whole bag. I thanked and told the man I was sad to say that this might be the end of an era for this bag and me. We parted ways and I began to think about my book bag and the places we’ve been. I decided then to write this letter.

I’ve “fixed” the zipper, but it won’t last. It’s sad, but it’s been a great run. Still, I wanted to thank you, Mr. or Mrs. anonymous person at L. L. Bean. My book bag has been one of the best items I’ve ever owned. I’ll never consider buying any other brand.


The Folks at L.L. Bean asked me if they could use part of it for their next catalog. Cool eh?

Otter

6 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Awesome. People complain about spending the money for items such as these, but I agree that they are worth every cent. I am addicted to their tote bags. I use them for toy boxes and for a long time one graced my car holding Sophia's stuff. I have had other totes, but they don't hold up under pressure.

I like that you wrote to tell them that they made a nice product. Having done customer service for years, it is nice to hear when something goes well.

I have to make sure that I am on the mailing list so that I can see your letter in print. I have not received a catalog since last year!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

This is the cutest thing I have read in a long, long time.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Otter's next work will be seen in the Fall 2006 J. Peterman catalogue

8:23 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Badger - We have got to keep Otter busy somehow!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Chowda said...

I didn't know you carried a man-purse...

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Wait 'till you see the letter he wrote to Good Vibrations!

(J/K - Good letter. Sorry about the backpack.)

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home