.

Friday, September 01, 2006

A forest for the trees.... or not....

I don’t really have the vocabulary to really say what I see. I don’t have enough of a poetic heart to put really beautiful things to a written verse…

… but sometimes I try.

Tonight it was raining and I had one block to cover in a sprint. The second I walked out the door I knew I had to piss. I should have turned back, doing so would have made sense. Instead I figured I could have made it home, only a short drive. Just run and don’t stop.

Directly in front of where my Jeep was parallel parked, there was a vacant lot slightly wooded and abandoned. Isolated in the city, from the city. Last chance to pee. Why be unconfortable when there was a bathroom right there. When you are a man, the whole world is your restroom.

Large leaf trees bordered the lot, privacy and protection from the rain. A small forest surrounded by brick, concrete and asphalt. Close to the harbor. I could hear boats rocking in the wind. Pulling against their moorings, resisting Ernesto and his efforts.

Ernesto, what a pansy. CNN what an anti-news source.

The sodium lamps from the street cast hard shadows across everything in a pale imitation of real sunlight. Pools of black and orange danced on everything. World bathed in monocromatic light or hidden in black. Reminded me of growing up in those lights, long before moving to the country and it's real light and real dark.

I found an isolated corner, and stoped. The wind brought to me the most wonderful scent. Floral, yet with a hint of the salt water from the bay drifted past me. There were flowers everywhere. Vines covered the walls, the fence and even competed with the trees. Delicate four petal flowers on vines, very familiar. Google images, I found lacking to name them. The fragrance was so overwleming I didn’t mind the rain hitting me, soaking my cloths. It was perfect. I didn’t want to leave.

I stayed for a minute longer than I needed, found a lone flower and took it with me. It’s sitting in a shot glass full of water now. Only a reminder.

There was just something… right… about the wind and the flowers and the light that combined to be one of those moments that affect you. Moments stark enough for even the blind eye to notice.

Take time to smell the roses, or, pee on the white flowers indeed. It’s worth it.

A scary thought though, how many OTHER moments like this have I missed. Too busy. In a hurry. Absent minded. It’s kind of sad. Anyway…

Otter

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Mmmmmm . . . this is lovely. Even if it was inspired by the need to go #1. Really nice, evocative imagery.

7:46 PM  
Blogger ZooooM said...

Awww Otter! You were sensitive otter for a second there!

10:11 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

Err.. yeah.. I got to stop writing like this.

:)

Otter

4:29 PM  
Blogger Kid Handsome said...

Dude, I think I totally whizzed on those same flowers - if it's where I think it is.

I hope it wasn't the one you kept.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home