.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Freedom and Racism

I finally found some time yesterday early in the morning to watch that video where "Kramer" just looses it on stage. I'll admit, it's pretty bad and it wouldn't necessarily be my word choice. But last time I checked, one of the great things about America is that you have the freedom to say what you want even if you don't like what the other person is saying.

I have problems when people like Jesse Jackson take an incident like this (which to me was nothing more than a rant gone bad) and turned it into an example that "mainstream" America is full of racist bigots. Furthermore, I take issue when Jackson claims that the "n" word is "unprotected." So are we saying that certain words are ok and certain words aren't? Or is it that certain people just can't say certain words.... Don't remember seeing that in the Bill 'o Rights.

A wise college professor once told me that we have "freedom of speech - just be careful what you say." He couldn't be more right in this case.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

Let's be clear here. Freedom of Speech protects against state based censorship. This is different from what The Rev. Jessie Jackson is doing. As far as I concerned that moron and say what ever he wants, boycott all the DVD's he wants, and father all the illegitimate kids he wants. That is, as long as the government respects my rights to do the same.

Put it this way... Dixie Chicks screaming their Freedom of Speech was violated has no grounds.

Being free to say something does not protect you for the consequences of your actions.

Once you add racism however, then you get into this "Hate Crime" bull shit. In this country we have set up protected groups of people who have additional rights over the majority of the country. One of these new mythical rights (I think I will coin a new term for these... unicorn rights) is the freedom not to be offended.

Somehow this "Right not to be offended" actually trumps my first amendment right of real Free speech, in the form of government exercising it's monopoly on violence to punish transgressions.

Thanks liberals... thanks a whole hell of a lot.

Otter

3:13 PM  
Blogger ZooooM said...

BAH HAHHAHAHAH Unicorn Rights. That is genius Otter!

I'm annoyed that now the "n" word is being taken up as an issue. I never use that word, and would despise anyone who used it in a hurtful way towards someone.

Just as I can't understand the KKK and it's hate shtick.

But JJackson isn't standing next to the KKK. Why? The KKK isn't show business.

The only reason this "Kramer" thing got where it is - is because his handlers are trying to minimize damage to his "career". And because our culture likens show business fame to governmental influence.

Just like the "OJ" book situation, I'm pretty sure the public's expendible income will decide what is and isn't protected.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richards should have attacked rich white people, or christians, then he would have been celebrated as a hero by the Democrats.

--ASK

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS

I never buy TV shows seasons DVD. I will purchase this one however just to spite Jackson. I am not sure why Richards rant should harm everyone else assoicated with the sale of the DVD.

If they want to boycott something over the use of the N-word, they ought to start with their own community because every single rap album contains this word.

--ASK

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home