.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Hiking and Guns...

Lately I’ve been looking at hiking sections of the Appalachian Trial. The AT organization has some nice materials online. The main PDF guide has a big section on safety. On page 18 they have a paragraph on why, even where legal, you should not carry a gun.

Their logic: “they (guns) could be turned against you or result in an accidental shooting.”

Instead, I should be “wary of strangers”, “dress conservatively” not bring expensive gear, “use trail registers, the notebooks a most shelters”.

Lunacy, I tell you.

Limit your enjoyment and be afraid.

I find this odd since their bear advice is “If you are actually attacked by a bear, you should fight for all you are worth with anything at hand - rocks, stick, fists”.

Sometimes I really have to wonder about people.

Otter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home