.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

America Lagging in Science

A really interesting post over on Instapundit about how science is treated by the current and recent administrations. Apparently, there is a lot of focus on short-term gains, but little of the broadview that often leads to huge advances in science (because they perform studies just for the sake of knowledge - studies that no one can perform if profit is the main motive).

This is one of the few areas where I advocate government funding. I think we should spend more money on science and less money elswhere. I think we should build a huge supercolliding superconductor in the U.S. I happen to believe that the advancement of public knowledge is a legitimate interest of government. (Though a lot of other libertarians have disagreed with me).

Anyway, a cool discussion.

KH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home