.

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Great Pumpkin....

Tis that season again... I though I would post something appropriate for Halloween.

The above link is to one of my favorite pieces of fiction ever. It's simply brilliant. I've read it about 5 times since I found it last year (last time 30 minutes ago). It's about a 10 minute read... and well worth your time.

John Aegard, the author, took Peanuts characters, in particular Linus and his search for the Great Pumpkin and spun them into a Lovecraftian tale of horror while keeping their familiar features true (Snoopy is left virtually unchanged).

If you haven't read H.P. Lovecraft before, he writes in his own very Gothic horror style. A VERY loose comparison might be to E. A. Poe. Most of his stories are short. In particular you can read the Call of Cthulhu (the link is to the actual story) in about 10 minutes. I would read it first if you haven't in the past for 2 reasons. First, the Great Pumpkin is directly modeled after the Call of Cthulhu and secondly, without a feel for the way Lovecraft writes you most likely won't appreciate how freaking genius John Aegard's work is.

Anyway.. I hope you enjoy...

Otter

2 Comments:

Blogger ZooooM said...

I wish I could say more than: COOOOOOOOOOL...

But at the moment I'm a little overwhelmed at this fun story you've linked here.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will check this out. Last night I read Black Cat by EA Poe. Very good.

--ASK

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home