.

Monday, February 20, 2006

On the Fence on Port Security

I may have to disagree with Bortz's latest column regarding the acquisition of port security contracts to a UAE-based company. Initially, I admit, I was shocked that the Pres. was on board for this. UAE has an interesting stance when it comes to terrorism - they tend to avoid it and all involved. This passive attitude tends to piss people off, particularly in the U.S. who will remember that an UAE-born flew one of the jets during the 9/11 attack. But I can't say that I blame the UAE for taking this passive approach - since if they were to side with the U.S. voluntarily, then they would probably suffer the same fate as Israel today.

Whether you agree with this stance or not, I have a hard time faulting a company JUST because its based in the UAE. Besides, if we didn't want a foreign company managing our Ports, perhaps we shouldn't have awarded that contract initially to the London-based company that has held onto it up until now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chowda said...

I changed my mind. This is a bad idea ;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

Damn I was about to tell you why I thought you were wrong.

Otter

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poltically stupid. Policy not sure. There has got to be somthing in it for the US in relation to US foreign policy in the middle east. The only thing I want to know is, who was their lobbyist? That could explain a whole lot.

--ASK

11:29 AM  
Blogger Chowda said...

It is an interesting problem. From what I read, it doesn't seem like there are a great deal of companies that "run" ports. Plus, just because you run the operation of a port, the Port Authority of the local state (and DHS) runs security. That wouldn't change.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the answer to my own question. In case anyone is wondering who Dubai's Washington representatives are (according to the Wall Street Journal): Downey-McGrath Group (founded by former Congressmen from both parties), and Clark & Weinstock, headed by former Rep. Vin Weber (R-MN). Interestly enough they are also receving strategic advice from the Albright Group, headed by Otter's favorite former Secretary of State, Madeline Albright.

--ASK

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home