.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Hippies and Rednecks - Kindred Spirits?

They are according to Jesse Walker in the linked article above. Being from the South, and I mean the real South, not the fake south that is Maryland*, I can tell you that most of the "Hippies" down there used to be rednecks - or at least were spawned from traditionally redneck families.

Anyway, the basic link between the two groups - according to the article - is the anti-authoritarian aspect of each group.

* I don't even have to get past the sweet-tea discussion before MD is ruled out. Trust me, I could take out the big guns, so I don't want any Maryland is the south whining.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

If you didn't want the discussion, you wouldn't have made the comment.

Maryland is SOUTH of the Mason Dixon Line, there for it is a SOUTHERN State.

Maryland is part of the South.

Otter

12:52 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I agree about the Maryland thing. Even though we are south of the Mason-Dixon, we were a neutral state during the Civil War.

What cracks me up are the idiots who fly the rebel flag and live in Pennsylvania.

As far as the hippy redneck connection, I cannot comment. I grew up in PA, with what I would consider a bunch of rednecks, but maybe they are just hillbillies. I think that there has to be a connection between those two groups. Do hippies really still exist? I know that there are many pseudo-hippies out there that would die if their starbucks and Grateful Dead music was taken from them.

I am a person who is fairly liberal in thought, but understand why government is necessary, even if I don't always agree with the views of that particular establishment.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home