.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Interesting Article on the Diversity Blogging Debate

Here's an interesting article from the National Review Online about the recent criticism on the lack of diversity amongst political bloggers. Apparently, most of the "Alpha" bloggers are white and male. I have no theories as to why that is, but I can say that I'm not really sure I care. People will read what they want, when they want. If it appears that there is ever a huge void with respect to a certain area, I'm sure it will be filled.

I would note, that most of the "Diary-type" blogs I read are by women. I wonder if that is because most women, who are also bloggers, just happen to be more interested in more localized issues - those issues that impact they and their children directly, or are more interested in educating and entertaining their readers on topics that have nothing to do with politics. On some level, I think that may be the answer. I think the vast majority of the population still does not read blogs for news or entertainment. Perhaps because blogging still reaches a relatively small number of people, we simply don't have as diverse a cross-section. Obviously, there is no shortage of talented female writers on this here interweb. You can find them anywhere, and some even comment on this site.

There is also no shortage of talented female "News and Opinion" writers on this here Interweb. I would note thatI also read Michelle Malkin, Ann Althouse, A Small Victory, Joanne Jacobs, Kate, and many other women who are "News Bloggers."

Kid Handsome

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of those things that makes my blood boil. All we need is The Rev Jackson, or Al Sharpton to get a hold of this and the next thing you know, POW!, forced diversity. It seams obivous to me that the groups not represented show no intrest in the field or else they would participate. No one is keeping them out. Damn 40 acres, a mule, and a blog.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home