.

Monday, July 25, 2005

2 Skinny Js

I saw the 2 Skinnie Js Friday night. It was the last stop of their 5 night “reunion tour”. Before I describe the show, let me set the tone.

Friday sucked. It was hot and I was in a crappy mood. Moreover I was a little disappointed that I was going to have to go to the show by myself. What had happened to all my concert going friends? I hadn’t seen a live show in a club in months and had seen nothing like the Js in years.

So I get to the show, by myself. It’s even hotter inside and I’m surrounded by drunk frat boys and their “too hot for them” girl friends. The opening band starts 45 minutes late. I was wearing khakis. I wasn’t happy.

The first act As Fast As was pretty good. The lead vocal was managed by a really talented, but arrogant guy who belted out some pseudo 70’s tunes. I'd see em again. It was enjoyable, but I wasn’t feeling it. By the end of their set, I was getting a little tired of being on my feet for the last 3 hours and I didn’t know if I even wanted to see the Js anymore. I was almost ready to leave.

So there I am, hot, surround by a bunch of punk kids, feeling old, one person deep from the stage.

Then the Js walk out. No grand entrances like I had seen them do in the past. They just wandered out. They looked a little older and I didn’t recognize most of the group. The band members all got in their places, each wearing a homemade white jumper with different color frilly hearts on the front. Then…

…the first notes of Irresistible Force kicked in and the place BLEW UP. 2 seconds in I was caught up in the show. Getting pushed, smashed, jumping up and down hands in the air. It was fantastic.

Those of you that were around when Lundy made that famous “greatest show ever” speech at 3:00 am in apartment 2g will be familiar with the way the rest of this post is going to progress (except this show wasn’t gay).

This was the Greatest Show EVER. Maybe not in terms of musical perfection, there were a handful of mistakes, but the Js put on an act that was pure energy. Start to finish they rocked that club. It was so great to get lost in an act again. It was exactly what I needed.

It’s hard to explain. Even if I was a competent writer I don’t think I could get across the feeling of really loving music. Really getting into an act. Feeling the music wash over you. I know some of the people reading this have never and will never “get it.” It’s like explaining a pit to your grandparents, “…and everyone was pushing an shoving? Sounds horrible Otter.” This show was what I’ve been missing. It was the first Friday night in a long time I wasn’t drinking and I didn’t care at all. I was ecstatic.

It was a good crowd; everyone knew the songs by heart. The Js worked the audience like another one of their instruments. The first 5 songs were played back-to-back non-stop. They played most of their songs From Sing Earth Boy Sing and that blasted through the club. Then, slowing it down a little when everyone needed a rest they played a chill song (dollar signs in her eyes) and then exploding once more again and again.

Up there in the fray, my heart was pounding, I know I should have been tired and out of breath but I wasn’t. When the song demanded it I was there bouncing up and down, feeding it like some pagan sacrifice. I stayed up front for about 10 songs. The only reason I left is I was sweating so much I really began to worry about my health. Really. I hated giving up my spot. It was the type of show that you would land 3 or 4 feet away from where you jumped up depending on the crowd direction.

The 2 Skinny Js played all their best songs finishing once again with 718. I pogoed so much my shins hurt (why my shins, I don’t know). The show was absolutely fantastic, and it was exactly what my soul needed. I just felt good afterwards. Renewed. Younger. Alive.

Otter

5 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

For the record, I didn't even know there was going to be a show until 4:30 on Friday.

Also, you know my views on live shows, and while I "like" the Skinnees, I'm not remotely as huge a fan as you.

I mention this because I feel strangely (unjustifiably) guilty for not going with you, and it's making me mad.

12:38 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

No guilty feelings needed.

Actaully, I really liked going to the show by myself. I can't think of the last time I did anything without company (sitting at the bar myself doesn't count somehow).

Actually, it was kind of liberating. Normally, with any group, there are always compromises and what not. I stood where I wanted, left when I wanted, etc.

No offense, but I wouldn't have been so far upfront if you went, and I don't think I would have had such a good time if I stood further back.

My comments were less, "why didn't you go" and more "what happened to the people I knew that likeed this."

Thinking back, this is the most homogeneous group of friends I've ever had. Think back to our party, how many people there were attorneys, who had similar outlooks on everything.

The diversity of people I used to hang out with is a lot narrower now than it was (look at me throwing the "D" word around like a liberal). Everyone has there own interests, likes, and dislikes. I've always existed amoung different clicks or belonged to groups that were really diverse.

As of late, due to marriages, moving, and lack of any real oppertunitys to meet different people readily available, we all hang out witht he same type of people.

It's not a bad thing, I just realized that I no longer have a "Band crowd". Or an "Art crowd" or a "computer crowd" or a "drinking crowd"... Actually I think that last one is covered.

The cool thing about Friday night, is that by going out by myself, I realize I don't need to drag someone along to something they don't really want to do.

Everone wins.

Otter

2:24 PM  
Blogger Chowda said...

I think I'm going to cry...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Chowda said...

...but I'd rather make fun of you Ski!

12:12 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

Who is this Ski you speak of?

Otter

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home